Sunday 14 June 2015

52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge | June 14, 2015

8: Express Gratitude to 3 People

When I saw what this weeks challenge was, I immediately felt anxious! I am not the best at expressing myself with words, I'd much prefer to write a letter. Although the challenge didn't specify that it had to be a verbal expression of gratitude, I took the opportunity to really and truly challenge myself. I was surprised at how easy it was! I didn't just start a new conversation saying, "hey did you know I'm grateful for you?" Working an expression of gratitude into the flow of conversation is not difficult in the least.

1. My Parents

During dinner I decided to thank my parents for all the love and guidance they have given me throughout my 20 years thus far. I mainly thanked them for their ability to teach me how to properly handle money. We were discussing my financial situation and how I am going to pay for college and I felt the need during that discussion to really express my gratitude toward them for teaching me that money is better in the bank than spent on frivolous things. I would be in a really bad position at this time if I didn't have money in the bank to help me out with school -student loans only go so far!

2. My Mom

Jeez, I'm just showering this woman with gratitude aren't I? Ha ha ha. My mom and I were listening to a radio show in the car while we were doing errands for the family and a commercial came on that said something along the lines of women are 5 times more likely to give up their child or be an absent mother after her husband leaves her and the child. Since my dad left before I was born, I took this opportunity to express to my mom how grateful I am that she didn't give me up! I couldn't imagine my life without my family. It would have been so much easier for her to let me go and not to have my face as a constant reminder of the man who left her, but instead she kept me, raised me, and loved me. She is such a strong woman and when I expressed this to her she had tears in her eyes. I don't think she ever expected me to thank her just for being my mom, but I know that it definitely made her feel as amazing as she deserves to feel.

3. My Cousin

While I was helping my cousin pack up her kitchen things into boxes for her upcoming move, we were discussing how we are so blessed to have grown up so close as we know people who have never met their cousins before! I seized this opportunity to let her know how grateful I am to have her in my life not only as a cousin and a role model, but as a friend.

Thanks for reading, xo, Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment