Friday 12 February 2016

Life as a Photography Student | Personal

 My absence in the blogging world is really breaking my heart. I love this blog. I love writing this blog. I love reading other blogs. Making the time for a hobby is important, I know this. But life has just been so busy this past month that it has been hard to justify writing a blog post when I have so many assignments I should be working on instead. I know I could bulk write posts and schedule them to go up, but that's just not me. I enjoy the authenticity and spontaneity of sitting down every Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday morning and writing my post for the day. I want to keep that. 

Schedule-wise I'm going to try posting on Mondays instead of Tuesdays for the rest of the semester. This should help with regularity as Tuesdays is a really long day for me- I just don't have the time to write. I think I can manage to keep Fridays and Sundays as they are. 
I thought today it would be fun to tell you about what life as a photography student is really like. I came into my program thinking it would be an absolute breeze- it couldn't be as hard as university psychology, right? I was sorely mistaken. This course is nothing but difficult. The content is challenging, the work load is intense, and the need to stay constantly inspired is intimidating. 

My schedule doesn't sound too bad on paper:
Monday: Photographic Theory 3-5
Tuesday: Portrait Workshop 9-1, Post Production 1-4
Wednesday: Commercial Workshop 9-12, Perception and Design 12-2
Thursday: Digital Imaging 9-11
Friday: Photographic Theory 3-5
Online: Media Communications

You have to keep in mind though, as a photography student, those are lecture times. During each of those lectures we are given an assignment that is due the following week's class; that's seven assignments per week that we have to do on our own time. 
Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining in the slightest. It's busy and overwhelming and stressful but I love it. I love every one of my classes and I love all the shoots I get to do. I feel very fulfilled doing photography and this course is making me very excited to be doing photography for my whole life. If you are seriously considering taking photography for post-secondary, I highly rate it. I'm at Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario. We have students coming to the program from as far as Kuwait and Libya and the Philippines  The teachers here are amazing. They really do care about your success, not only in the program but in life in general. They are so understanding when it comes to personal problems that may interfere with school work and they are so fair when it comes to marking and stuff like that. 
If you're thinking of taking photography in college or university (not to sound biased) but do it! Haha, just kidding. I would never try to convince someone to make such an important decision. What I will say is don't take photography because you think it will be easy. It won't be. It will be hard work, long hours, and high stress. But what I can say is that if you love it, it will be worth it.

If any of you are thinking of taking a photography program do let me know where you're going! If you have any questions about photography in college do leave it in a comment!

Thanks for reading & check back to see what KatieDidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment