Sunday 14 February 2016

43. A Mentor/Teacher | 52 Weeks of Gratitude Challenge

Between school, sports, and theatre I've had plenty of teachers and mentors in my life- some amazing, and some.... not so amazing haha. It would be impossible for me to pick just one person that has helped to shape my life; that I am grateful for. Instead, I'm going to choose based on the categories I've laid out. 
Primary School
Between kindergarten and eighth grade, there is definitely a standout teacher that I feel had a profound impact on my life. Mrs. Bouliane taught me both second and third grade. She is who I thank when it comes to my passion for writing. We began creative writing in second grade and Mrs. Bouliane realized that I had a knack for it. Even once the activities for creative writing were finished, she still allowed me to submit my short stories to her for review. She understood how important it was for me to get my thoughts on paper and how important it was for someone to care about those thoughts. I still keep in touch with her today; she's an amazing teacher and woman.
High School
A rough time for me, that's for sure. My family encountered a life altering tragedy whilst I was in the eleventh grade. My anthro/psych/soc teacher was the one I confided in. She was so understanding and never treated my like I was broken. Mrs. Battocchio was a true blessing during this awful time in my life. While I was floundering to stay on track with school she went to all my other teachers and advocated for me. I owe my eleventh grade success to her; without Mrs. Battocchio I probably would have failed grade eleven. 
College
I've only been at Algonquin College for five months and already I can say, with conviction, that Mr. Bowie has been having the most impact on me thus far. Not only do I think he's an amazing teacher and knowledgable man. But he also cares about his students as if they were his own children. There have been multiple occasions where he has asked me how I'm doing. Not in school, but in life. He genuinely wants us all to succeed and to be happy, healthy, successful people.
Theatre
In any stage production, there isn't just one mentor. You've got the director, choreographer, vocal coach, etc. My stand out theatre mentor that I'm very grateful for is Nicole, my vocal coach. I was never confident enough to play a lead, I was happy to be an extra in the back row. When Nicole heard me sing she latched onto me and forced me out of my insecurities. I eventually found the stage to be my home. I took on numerous leads and would often "steal" the show (it wasn't hard because I was usually a character that provides comic relief ie. Glinda in Wicked and Timon in The Lion King). Not only am I grateful for the knowledge she gave me and the vocal training she bestowed one me, but I also owe any shred of confidence I have to Nicole.
Synchronized Swimming
I swam for ages; 13 years or so. Throughout that time I had a few different coaches as I progressed through the team levels, eventually being on the advanced senior team. Don't get me wrong, the coaches were great. But my main influencer/mentor was an older girl on the team, Megan. She was an amazing swimmer who was always willing to help me out. She is also so smart (in law school now) and a genuinely great person to be around. 
Photography
I've mentioned Brandon before in this post so I'll keep it brief. He introduced me to my passion for photography and taught me the basics. I can't thank him enough! 

Have you had a teacher or mentor that has had an impact on your life? Please do let me know in a comment!

Thanks for reading & check back to see what, KatieDidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment