Friday 13 May 2016

Become a Runner in a Summer | Fitness

Every summer I get back into running and it reminds me why I love to run. I always regret falling away from running during the school year/winter months- hopefully this year I won't stop when it gets cold! 
I feel like getting back into running is really hard. I mean, the last time I ran (last summer) I was making my best 5km times and now I can barely do a 60 second interval... very discouraging. However, also very motivating because I know where I can get to!

Using my fitness plan from last summer, combined with new knowledge and goals I have put together a weekly plan to get back to a place where I can consider myself a runner.

Here it is:

Monday
run 45-55 minutes + brisk walk 35-40 minutes

Tuesday
optional cross training day

Wednesday
run 35-40 minutes

Thursday
run 30 minutes + cross train 30 minutes

Friday
complete rest day

Saturday
run 35-40 minutes

Sunday
cross train 45-55 minutes

For the runs I'm not just jumping the gun and running for the whole time frame. I'm using the app Couch to 5K to coach me through the runs and build my endurance back up in a healthy way.
Week 1
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
alternate 60 seconds jogging, 90 seconds walking
5 minute cool down walk

Week 2:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
alternate 90 seconds of jogging, 2 minutes walking
5 minute cool down walk

Week 3:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
two repetitions of the following: jog for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds; jog for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 4:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds; job 5 minutes, walk 2.5 minutes; job 3 minutes, walk 90 seconds; jog 5 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 5:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 8 minutes, walk 8 minutes, jog 8 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 6:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 5 minutes, walk 3 minutes; jog 8 minutes, walk 3 minutes; jog 5 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 7:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 25 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 8:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 28 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 9:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 30 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 10:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 32 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 11
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog 35 minutes
5 minute cool down walk

Week 12:
brisk 5 minute warmup walk
jog a 5k route- try to make good time
5 minute cool down walk

As far as warmup and cool down, the times are VERY short and should be extended. Before running I do a 10-15 minute warmup of dynamic stretches. After my run I will walk around my back yard for about 10 minutes and then spend about 15-20 minutes stretching out my muscles/doing a bit of light yoga. It's so important to not skip warmup and cool down! 

On my cross training days, I will either power walk, go for a bike ride, or go for a swim at the YMCA- whatever I feel like that day!
I'm so excited to get back into running- I'm already two weeks in and I feel great! I have SO much energy and I feel so much healthier than I did before. I think running can be so daunting but if you take it one run at a time and listen to your body so you don't push yourself way too hard, it's such a joy!

Are you a runner? Do you want to be a runner? 

Let me know about your running experience- good or bad- in a comment!

Thanks for reading & check back again to see what KatieDidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment