Tuesday 19 January 2016

Wake Up With Me: School Day Edition | Morning Routine

Am I the only one who was actually excited to go back to school?? Probably haha. Now that I'm in a program I love, on track to a career I would be happy doing for my whole life, I actually enjoy school and look forward to going.

That being said, I'm not so much a fan of having to wake up early again after such a relaxing winter break! Getting back into the swing of things has been hard (many naps have been had this past week haha) but I've established a new morning routine that has been working for me and I'm excited to share it with you all today!

My alarm is set in the mornings for 6:45am so I can be ready to leave by 8:00am for school. I always spend that first fifteen minutes, from 6:45-7:00am stretching, chugging a big glass of water, and making a tea. These three tasks help to wake me up in the morning so I can truly begin my morning routine!


7:00am: morning yoga!
I'm not sure what sort of workouts I do in my sleep, but I always wake up quite tight and sore throughout my neck shoulders (my chiropractor tells me it's stress but I tend to disagree, probably because I'm in denial haha). Doing yoga first thing in the morning helps to loosen up my body and set my mind on the right track to take on the day.
7:15am: bathroom stuff- wash face, brush teeth etc.
Once my workout is done I head to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I need to do this before breakfast for some reason... like I just HAVE to. I feel so gross until my face is washed and my teeth are brushed! To wash my face I use the Clinique bar soap in extra mild. I then follow up with the Clinique daily moisturizing gel. To brush my teeth, I use Crest Pro-Health whitening toothpaste- love how minty fresh it is!
7:30am: hair and makeup
Now that it's winter, my hair has to be done because throwing it up in a bun doesn't work with wearing a hat (Canadian problems!). I've been using my NUME tools to curl my hair almost everyday. If you're interested in NUME, check out my full review post and my everyday hair routine video! 

When it comes to make up I keep it super simple- some days I don't wear anything but mascara. However most days I'll use Rimmel wake me up concealer under my eyes and on spots, NYX stay matte but not flat powder foundation so I'm not shiny and a little blush from Revlon in ooh baby pink- that's the face done! I then use the blush as an eye shadow for a really pretty wash of shimmery pink followed up by the L'Oreal highlighter in my inner corner and under my brow bone. I fill in my brows with the Revlon brow fantasy pencil in brunette, curl my lashes and apply generous amounts of Covergirl lash blast, and finish off with Maybelline baby lips chapstick. Simple, natural, and quick!
7:35am: get dressed
I usually pick out an outfit the night before in an attempt to streamline this process... putting an outfit together is not easy for me. My lack of fashion sense rears it's ugly head in the mornings so I make sure I either have an outfit already picked or all the pieces clean for a go-to outfit that I know looks good.
7:38am: make and eat breakfast, catch up on e-mails
If you've been following this blog for any length of time then seeing this bowl of cereal for breakfast will be a shocker- where's the oatmeal!? Lately I've been eating cereal in the morning because 1. it's so much quicker 2. it fills me up so much more! My class schedule doesn't allow me to eat lunch until about 1:00pm on most days so I have to fuel myself up enough to last over five hours on one meal! Oatmeal just doesn't fit the bill for me on a school day anymore. Instead I will divide my bowl in thirds- one third full of Post Shredded Wheat cereal, one third of Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal, and one third of GM Multi-Grain Cheerios. I sprinkle on some cinnamon and pour in a generous amount of 2% milk. It's delicious, nutritious, and really filling!

7:55am: gather all my things together
I grab my camera bag, my backpack (laptop, agenda, etc), lunch bag and all my winter clothes to get dressed and ready. It takes a good five minutes to suit up for these frigid Canadian winter mornings!

8:00am: head out the door!
Once I finally manage to sufficiently bundle up, I'm ready to head to the bus stop and make my way to class! My morning routine really is quite streamlined- no frills, no social media- and efficient. I get everything I need to accomplish done in only an hour! This allows me to maximize my sleep time as any college student knows just how precious those extra minutes can be!

Do you have a morning routine? What is one thing you do every morning that sets your day off on the right foot?

Thanks for reading & check back to see what KatieDidd, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment